Please Help me achieve my Goal

Please donate even if its just 1 dollar, every little bit helps.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Food Inc.

I watched Food Inc. last night and it only took me 15 minutes to be appalled.
It wasn't difficult to watch like Earthlings, But it will make you think twice about what you eat. I found myself being so angry at the government, the USDA and FDA. It just amazes me that things are done so cheaply and carelessly. The part that really got to me was the 2.5 year old little boy that died because of E-Coli. I blubbered like a baby watching this healthy little boy playing on a beach and 12 days later he was dead. All because of company's being careless and cheap.
I have children and my job as a parent is to protect them. Now I know that raising a healthy child includes teaching them to eat healthy things, but I didn't realize that even fruits and vegetables can be harmful to them.

Here are a few facts I learned from the Movie.
FOOD INC>

:Some of our most important staple foods have been fundamentally altered, and genetically engineered meat and produce have already invaded our grocery stores and our kitchen pantries.

:Approximately 10 billion animals (chickens, cattle, hogs, ducks, turkeys, lambs and sheep) are raised and killed in the US annually. Nearly all of them are raised on factory farms under inhumane conditions. These industrial farms are also dangerous for their workers, pollute surrounding communities, are unsafe to our food system and contribute significantly to global warming.

: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 76 million Americans are sickened, 325,000 are hospitalized and 5,000 die each year from food borne illnesses

:In January 2008, the FDA approved the sale of meat and milk from cloned livestock, despite the fact that Congress voted twice in 2007 to delay FDA's decision on cloned animals until additional safety and economic studies could be completed.

:Approximately 1 billion people worldwide do not have secure access to food, including 36 million in the US. National and international food and agricultural policies have helped to create the global food crisis but can also help to fix the system.

There is a part in there when a company explains that they rinse there meat with ammonia because it kills bacteria. WTF!!!!!
Needless to say I will be making better consumer choices for my family. And eating fast food will be a VERY VERY RARE thing in this house.

3 comments:

  1. That is crazy! So how do you pick what foods meats/vegetables to eat then? This would be great info, specially since I am trying to change my eating habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John Watch Food Inc.
    You can watch it free online. It gives you tips on what to buy and also if you are a reader, there is a book. It gives a whole lot more Info.
    My best advice on how to shop. Is to try and buy organic and shop local markets. Like Graff dairy for milk. Shopping organic is hard and can be a little more pricey, but there is a part in the movie when a farmer says people complain about his cage free, organic dozen of eggs are to expensive, yet they stand there drinking a .75 cent soda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is crazy. I will have to watch it. Thanks for the post, very eye opening!

    ReplyDelete